Phone hacking: Rebekah Brooks arrested in Weeting inquiry

Rebekah Brooks and her racehorse trainer husband Charlie are understood to be among those arrested this morning by police in connection with the phone hacking inquiry, according to Sky News.

The two were arrested at their home in Oxford as part of a police operation that saw six people arrested by detectives investigating phone hacking allegations, according to Scotland Yard.

This is the second time Brooks has been arrested. Previously she had been arrested on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications and on suspicion of corruption. Today’s charges relate to “suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice”.

Over the last few weeks Brooks and her husband, who are good friends of Prime Minister David Cameron, have been embroiled in the story about the loan of a police horse to the couple, dubbed horsegate, which is also said to have been ridden by Cameron.

Officially no names or details have been released regarding who the six are or where they work. All the police have said is that the arrests took place this morning at addresses in London, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Hertfordshire.

However, Sky News correspondent Martinbrunt (@skymartinbrunt) tweeted the arrest of Brooks and her husband.

The BBC is reporting that the arrested are five men and one woman who were taken into custody  on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

The homes of the six are being searched by police officers from the Operation Weeting phone-hacking inquiry team.

“Those arrested were a 49-year-old man and 43-year-old woman, both from Oxfordshire, a 39-year-old man from Hampshire, a 46-year-old man from west London, a 38-year-old man from Hertfordshire, and a 48-year-old man from east London.

“They are being interviewed at police stations in Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and London.

“The Metropolitan Police said the operation was carried out after consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service,” the BBC reports.

The Guardian reports that all six were arrested between 5am and 7am on Tuesday and are being interviewed at police stations.

Scotland Yard said in a statement: “A number of addresses connected to the arrests are being searched. Today’s operation follows consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service,” the Guardian reports.