There have been reports of phone hacking trouble brewing in the US for Rupert Murdoch for months now, after the FBI said it was to investigate News Corp over 9/11 phone hacking claims, but now two prominent lawyers including Mark Lewis are said to be laying the ground work for possible legal action.
Lewis is the lawyer behind many phone-hacking claims in the UK and he flew to the US on Thursday for legal talks about as many as four potential actions against News Corp across the atlantic.
The lawyer, Mark Lewis, confirmed in a telephone interview that he would take legal action on behalf of three people — a well-known sports person, a sports person not in the public eye and an American citizen, none of whom he would further identify. The suits had not yet been filed, he said, but would be pursued with the aid of Norman Siegel, a lawyer who once was director of the New York Civil Liberties Union.
Mr. Siegel, who has represented many of the families of those killed in the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.
“The News of the World had thousands of people they hacked,” Mr. Lewis said, when announcing the suits in an interview with the BBC, referring to the Sunday tabloid that Mr. Murdoch closed down last year as the hacking scandal engulfed it. “Some of them were in America at the time, either traveling or resident there,” the New York Times reports.