Police arrest three more in hacking investigation
The police have confirmed that three more people have been arrested in the on going phone hacking investigation, including the Sun’s royal editor.
This morning people at private addresses in Kent and Lancashire, following a parliamentary investigation into allegations of inappropriate payments to police and public officials.
The arrests, as part of Operation Elveden, were that of a 36-year-old man, who was arrested at his home in Kent.
The 36-year old man has since been revealed as The Sun’s royal editor, Duncan Larcombe. He was defence editor until last year. He was taken in on suspicion of conspiracy to corrupt and conspiracy to cause misconduct in a public office. He was this morning being questioned at a police station in Kent.
His arrest came with that of a 42-year-old man and 38-year-old woman who were arrested at their home address in Lancashire on suspicion of misconduct. They have not been named.
Officers from Op Elveden have arrested three people this morning as part of the investigation into payments to police and public officials.
— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) April 19, 2012
A former member of the armed forces is reported to be among those held.
The Met said that the three Op #Elveden arrests are the result of information from News International’s management standards committee.
The arrests follow the news yesterday that four files relating to alleged offences committed by journalists have been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service to consider if charges can be brought.
The BBC reported that the cases concern allegations of misconduct in a public office, perverting the course of justice, witness intimidation, harassment and interception of communications, thought to be phone hacking.
Four journalists, one police officer and six other people are allegedly involved. Dozens on bail. The Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer, did not give a timescale for making a decision on charges, saying: “We are now entering a period where we are likely to make a decision one way or another.”
There are 43 people currently on bail in connection with police inquiries into alleged hacking. Some of the suspects referred to in the files have not been questioned by police yet, the DPP said.
The charge of misconduct in a public office relates to the police officer and one journalist. One journalist and six other people are linked to the charge of perverting the course of justice, while one journalist is linked to the witness harassment charge, and one journalist is accused of intercepting communication, the BBC reported.