Great work by The Guardian in getting Hugh Grant to star in its new tongue-in-cheek ad as part of its ‘Own the Weekend’ campaign as reported by Campaign yesterday. In the three-minute spot, which has launched online first, before heading naturally enough to cinema and the big screen, Grant tells us he is a “long time Guardian reader”. Maybe he is, but we also know that the star of ‘Notting Hill’ likes to sample the competition as well as you can see in this picture here.
Is that Grant carrying a rival newspaper? He must have The Guardian delivered. Grant has, of course, of late been very much in the news not for his film work, but for the Hacked Off campaign and its efforts to highlight phone hacking by national newspapers. Read more »
The Independent reports today on another twist in the News of the World phone hacking story as it reports that police have evidence that suggests a private detective agency carried out a burglary while working for the now defunct News International-owned tabloid.
Read more »
The Church of England has sold £1.9m it held in News Corporation shares after the company failed to hold senior managers to account following the phone hacking scandal.
Having raised concerns with News Corp’s board last year the Church said it feared the media group had not learnt lessons.
The Church of England had wanted News Corp to separate the positions of chairman and chief executive. Both are held by Rupert Murdoch. Read more »
The BBC is reporting that Rebekah Brooks and her husband Charlie are to be charged with perverting the course of justice as part of the Metropolitan Police investigation into phone hacking at the News of the World.
If found guilty, Brooks, the former chief executive of News International, could face a prison sentence. Read more »
The police have confirmed that three more people have been arrested in the on going phone hacking investigation, including the Sun’s royal editor.
This morning people at private addresses in Kent and Lancashire, following a parliamentary investigation into allegations of inappropriate payments to police and public officials. Read more »
The New York Times reports that two British lawyers are preparing News of the World phone-hacking related claims in New York.
There have been reports of phone hacking trouble brewing in the US for Rupert Murdoch for months now, after the FBI said it was to investigate News Corp over 9/11 phone hacking claims, but now two prominent lawyers including Mark Lewis are said to be laying the ground work for possible legal action. Read more »
Former chief reporter of the News of the World, Neville Thurlbeck, was this afternoon arrested on suspicion of intimidating a witness.
He has been on bail since April 5 2011 when he was arrested on suspicion of phone hacking. His arrest comes in the same week that Rebekah Brooks and her husband, Charlie Brooks, were arrested along with four others. Read more »
Rebekah Brooks and her racehorse trainer husband Charlie are understood to be among those arrested this morning by police in connection with the phone hacking inquiry, according to Sky News.
The two were arrested at their home in Oxford as part of a police operation that saw six people arrested by detectives investigating phone hacking allegations, according to Scotland Yard. Read more »
Virginia Wheeler, defence editor of The Sun, has become the latest journalist to be arrested by police investigating corrupt payments to public officials as part of Operation Elveden.
The Sun’s defence editor, who is also one of the youngest to be taken into custody, is the 23-person to be arrested at News International. Read more »
Scotland Yard has confirmed today that it loaned Rebekah Brooks, the former News International chief executive, a retired police horse.
Brooks, who resigned at the height of the hacking scandal last Summer, is reported to have ridden the retired police horse for a year at her farm in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire. Read more »